July 2017 Newsletter Download PDF
It seems fitting that this should be my first opportunity to draft the editorial as co-editor of the newsletter given the considerable presence of Irish and Northern Irish influenced materials in this edition. This is due to contributions from, and about the work of, Quaker Service in Northern Ireland and also a very interesting report on the Conference of the International Institute for Restorative Practices, which took place in Dublin in May this year. Additionally the Art Facility and prisoners of HMP Magilligan in County Antrim, have given us permission to both showcase their work and to illustrate the articles in this edition with some of their pieces.
Along with our “bailiúchán” of Irish content we are grateful to all our other contributors who have shared with us such things as book reviews, updates in changes to BYM structuring and insights into restorative practices. I was particularly struck by “From Prison Cell To Freedom” which has helped to give me a better understanding of the experiences of my clients in their move from long-term custody back into the community. So much so that I felt compelled to share the article with my prison-based colleagues.
Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Carmel for her considerable contributions to this newsletter up to now, and on an ongoing basis. She is always very good about thanking others for what they do, but far too modest to thank herself. And the same thanks to Alan Russell whose love of English motivates his emendations.
Also in this edition
- From Prison Cell to Freedom
- Story-Telling and Art in Quaker Service (Northern Ireland)
- International Institute of RJ Conference – Report
- An Interesting Day
- Book Review: Blame
- HMP Magilligan – Art Exhibition (Part 1)
- Faith Behind Bars
- Reflective Conversations at Quaker Service (Northern Ireland)
- HMP Magilligan – Art Exhibition (Part 2)
- Arts in Restorative Interventions
- Alteration to Arrangements for Listed Informal Groups
- Relationship Conflict Resolution in Children's Residential Units
- Group Notices
- Membership Update
- Contact Details